East Midlands Trains’ is the latest rail company to announce plans to equip its services to London with on-board WiFi. A total of 27 Meridian trains can now provide access to the internet and four of its High Speed Trains fleet have also been fitted with the technology.
From September this year First Class passengers have had free access to the service, with other passengers having to pay a nominal charge. Plans are in place for additional services by early 2011 when the remaining seven High Speed Trains will be equipped with internet access.
David Horne, customer service director for East Midlands Trains, said: “We are very pleased with how the WiFi service has been received by our customers. Now that the Meridian fleet has been completed, customers will be able to access WiFi on the vast majority of our trains to and from London.”
How long it will be before the whole rail network is equipped with Wi-Fi is anybody’s guess. In the meantime, here a list of what’s currently available:
Virgin Pendolino and Super Voyager trains have Wi-Fi access available with either a one-hour or 24-hour pass. Virgin Trains Wi-Fi is provided by T-Mobile so passes can be used at any of T-Mobile’s 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots. First-class passengers get free Wi-Fi on board.
East Coast Trains offers free Wi-Fi access on all its trains.
Business Premier customers get free Wi-Fi internet in Business Premier Lounges, and free Wi-Fi access is available to all Eurostar customers at St Pancras International.
Grand Central Trains
Grand Central Trains offer free Wi-Fi throughout their trains.
This list is courtesy of Which magazine (http://www.which.co.uk/).
- Train firm is celebrating track record (thisislincolnshire.co.uk)
- German rail giant Deutsche Bahn sends 200mph ICE3 train into London (dailymail.co.uk)
- Passengers to pay just 66p more per journey with regional rail firm (thisisderbyshire.co.uk)
- Cisco, T-Mobile announce Wi-Fi Calling for Business (infoworld.com)
- Cisco and T-Mobile Team to Deliver a Wi-Fi Calling Solution with an Enterprise-Class Voice-Ready Wireless LAN (blogs.cisco.com)
- Does Free Wi-Fi=Crummy Wi-Fi? (technologizer.com)
- Novatel MiFi 4082 WiMAX mobile hotspot clears FCC (slashgear.com)
- Meshed wi-fi? (edugeek.net)
- East Coast passengers face wi-fi internet charges (heraldscotland.com)
- Passengers to start paying for Wi-Fi on East Coast trains (yorkpress.co.uk)